Summer Sunflowers

Summer Sunflowers
They grow so fast...
In winter when the fields are white,
I sing this song for your delight -

In spring, when woods are getting green,
I'll try and tell you what I mean.

In summer, when the days are long,
Perhaps you'll understand the song;

In autumn, when the leaves are brown,
Take pen and ink and write it down.

Lewis Carroll


Thursday, January 20, 2011

Back to Work

Last night was my first night back working at Hy-vee grocery store. I quit 8 months ago when I was pregnant and didn't feel like I could toss around the 60 lb bags of birdseed anymore.

When I asked to come back nonfoods wasn't hiring but produce was. I'm not picky, I'm just working for the money, so I took it. The hours are fine (of course I'd prefer fewer with 3 times the pay, wouldn't we all). The work isn't difficult. But last night I realized there are three obstacles to me fully enjoying this job: 1) Fresh fruits and veggies smell good, I love food and yet I can't eat it as I'm stocking it; 2) It's cold in the cooler and I have to go in there often and I do not like the cold; 3) A lot of perfectly fine produce gets tossed in the trash and that just makes me feel weird inside.

I am grateful to have this job. I am grateful that Nate has his job and that with these jobs we are able to make ends meet. I realized last night that a lot of my coworkers are struggling financially and work 2 jobs themselves to get by and often still aren't quite making it.

2 comments:

  1. That is a good attitude to have. Hopefully the adjustment is not too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love that you started a blog!!! I'm so excited to stay updated on your life! I went back to work a week and a half ago. I don't have to throw away any perfectly good produce (which would bother me too!) but it is hard leaving my 2 month old baby for a 10 hour chunk of time. But I'm with you -- I'm grateful both Dave and I have jobs and I'm grateful we earn enough money to have the heat on during this cold winter!

    ReplyDelete