Summer Sunflowers

Summer Sunflowers
They grow so fast...
In winter when the fields are white,
I sing this song for your delight -

In spring, when woods are getting green,
I'll try and tell you what I mean.

In summer, when the days are long,
Perhaps you'll understand the song;

In autumn, when the leaves are brown,
Take pen and ink and write it down.

Lewis Carroll


Friday, August 26, 2011

State Fair 2011

I am learning to love being in Iowa. And one thing Iowans must be proud of is the State Fair. This year Nate and I helped construct a can display as a joint project with the Iowa Soybean Association, AIA, Canstruction and 4 local architecture firms. The reward for our time was some fair tickets, food vouchers and parking. That made the fair even more fun since we were able to come back another day with the kids and keep our spending below $40. (The State Fair is very expensive. As my father-in-law pointed out, they make it easy, everything costs $10.)

We met up with Nate's parents and his brother and sister-in-law and their baby boy.

If you ever go, the Butter Cow is nice but what you really must see is the Big Bull and the Big Pig. They are unbelievably BIG. I also love the pumpkins...one day I tell you! That 1200 pound gourd will be mine!!! Evander got to throw a frisby to the stunt dogs at the canine show and then he and Nate rode the sky ride across the park. Honestly though, Evander just wanted to stop and look at all the machines. Every day he asks me things such as: "Mom, when are you going to buy a combine?"...or "Mom, is it okay if I get a grapple skidder?"

This year we were prepared and brought a change of clothes so the kids could play in the water fountains. Jayne and Evander loved it, Caleb was content to keep me company in the shade.

Anyway, the kids were so good, and we all had fun. So I suppose we'll be going back next year.















1 comment: